Then I tried removing a portion of the ceiling back around the first of September to see what was underneath it - maybe I'd find a pleasant surprise:
Underneath it was the tongue and groove flooring that's in the attic, so I thought maybe I'd be able to pull the entire ceiling down for a rustic wooden ceiling. Alas, no because the flooring didn't go all the way across the living room. Special thanks to my friend Adam for undertaking this adventure with me back in October. We were able to get the old ceiling down to get rid of the bow in the ceiling. What a mess of insulation and moldy sheet rock!!
But then we had it all down and cleaned up (I itched for days thanks to that insulation and yes I wore gloves and long sleeves...it was a mess!):
We used scraps left over from where the bathroom work was done to fill in all the holes and ended up only spending less than $10 for one more sheet of drywall to get the entire area covered:
At this point today, I've gotten the joint tape up and have countersunk the screws...all I'm lacking is the large task of getting the texture on there to match the rest of the ceiling, which is very very thick and very very swirly. That will come much later as there are other things that need attention worse in this house. But this is what it looks like now:
That brings us to where it is now, in January. It's nice not to feel like the ceiling is going to fall down on anything now! :) There's plenty more to share and hopefully by the time I ever get caught up here I'll have more things to show that I've not gotten finished yet!