Friday, August 26, 2011

Possibilities are Endless

Ok, first let me say this day was the worst I've had in terms of fatigue. I'm exhausted beyond comprehension and while I was working at the house today, it was almost like I had stepped out of myself and was just on auto pilot pushing myself to do a little bit more and a little bit more. Still, as I sit here typing, I have no energy and am completely zapped. However, I've found this little blog gets thoughts out of my head and organized so this is a very good thing for me.

I did get the office studio room swept up really good and mopped the floor in there. I can't wait to refinish it but that's not a priority right now, as I have about 5 days left before my move in day. There's just not enough time, so for now, clean is the priority. The paint splatters, nail polish and other imperfections will just have to wait...here's what it's looking like all mopped and clean:

Aren't they going to look gorgeous one of these days?? I so love them!

Then, my parents worked on scraping the wallpaper backing from the laundry room, as well as worked on the windows in the master bedroom and the bathroom. My Dad took the old plexiglass off the bathroom window and then cleaned it and it looks sooooo good other than the wood needing painting and such a sweet view of the backyard:

Then I knew I needed to address the living room ceiling, as the back corner had dropped (from the house settling, not a leak or anything like that):


In talking with a few people and researching, I learned it's best to remove the area and put a new piece of sheet rock up there. So, feeling a second wind this afternoon, I went back out there. And, started working on pulling it down, being careful not to go past 4 feet (the size of a piece of sheet rock):

What I found, though, surprised me so I stopped right there. I have a decision to make. I REALLY like the idea of exposing that wood. In knowing there's a full floor, ceilings, and walls in the finished attic, I expected it to look decent but I swear when I saw what was there, I started getting new visions of an exposed beam ceiling:



What's the worst that can happen? I pull it all down and the ceiling has to be sheet rocked in it's entirety later on? The wires can be easily concealed from the attic...and I don't have to worry about other ceiling issues. Would love to hear your thoughts on this. Obviously it's not perfect up there as it wasn't meant to expose...but look at that. It's absolutely beautiful and would be a shame to cover it up, it seems....

4 comments:

  1. I googled exposed wood beam ceilings - a and found some nice ideas . if your thinking in that direction it best to go ahead and do it now while it is empty at least in one room any way.... It's a great look .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would be nice and it was definitely a pleasant surprise. It could have easily been evidence of issues but instead it was beautiful under there. I'm sure excited but it really added more work in a time crunch lol but still, I'm up for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that idea!! It gives such a rustic look and I think it will add to your little cottage house! :) I say go for it!! :) Like you said, what's the worse that can happen? You can always sheet rock it later if you decide you don't like it. It's kind of like pulling up carpet to reveal a lovely wood floor beneath - except it's your ceiling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol exactly! Well, my parents have me concerned about doing it but I still think I will. There's no way pulling down 2 sheets of the current ceiling and trying to patch it will ever look consistent, so I might as well just go for it as soon as I can. Other things are more pressing at the moment but I'm really excited to see what it looks like!

    ReplyDelete